Exclusive interview with Ephraim Abdullahi
CAN WE MEET YOU?
- Oh yes! Sure, I am Ephraim Abdullahi, a product of business administration and management from the prestigious federal polytechnic idah in kogi state. I was born into the family of 6 (4boys 2 girls).
WE WOULD LIKE TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR INSPIRATION.
- What really inspired me to go into modelling is that I love fashion; I see it as a lifestyle; I can say: “I AM A FASHIONISTA ALWAYS READY TO FASHION ANYTHING FASHIONABLE AND SO SINCE GOD BLESSED WITH MY HEIGHT; I DECIDED TO GIVE IT A TRY.
WHEN DID YOU ACTUALLY STARTED?
- I actually started modelling since the year 2014 where I happened to be on the “BELL MAGAZINE COVER FOR SAINT. KIZITO SEMINARY”…. Since it was a catholic seminary; the magazine travelled far & wide, and I decided to expand on every side too, so I joined a trending and leading agency in Abuja named DMM FASHION EMPIRE (DE_BLISSMODELS) to be trained and groomed professionally.
WHAT PRODUCT OF THE FASHION INDUSTRY DO YOU REPRESENT?
- I am a runway model, also into editorials and commercials for bill boards, video vixens, photo-shoots, adverts and most importantly scripts /articles and any form of writings……
HOW DID YOU GET SIGNED UP FOR YOUR FIRST WORK?
- nothing much rather than through audition.
WHAT FASHION LINE DO YOU WORK FOR?
HOW DID YOU GO THROUGH THE FIRST TIME TOUGH MOMENTS?
- Well! It was really tough because I was not convinced whether to give in fully or withdraw but the passion kept me focused…..
WHAT WAS THE REACTION OF YOUR PEOPLE TO YOUR DECISION OF BECOMING A MODEL?
- That really made it so difficult and tough for me because their ideologies were that all models are “GAY” and they lack proper care of good morals; that whatever comes out for me, I should take it; so I replied that even if its so, I must create a difference, besides I know my background and am still “an ambassador of the seminary…..” sincerely speaking, I turned their discouragement into my strength instead of my weakness and a chance to proof them wrong about the “ugly notions” they perceive models to be and to the glory of God; I think I have their full support now….
WHAT WAS YOUR INITIAL DREAM LIKE BEFORE MODELLING CAME INTO THE PICTURE?
- HMMMMM! my initial dream was to become a very responsible and fulfilled person regardless of the profession I see myself, at least what is worth doing is worth doing well, so I always tell God in prayers to; “TAKE THE WHEEL AND TAKE THE LEAD; FOR HIS WILL TO BE DONE”. I must say my life is actually turning into greatness as I await more of HIS blessings coming through……
AS AN UPCOMING MODEL; WHAT ARE THE HURDS YOU HAVE FACED?
- LOTS OF THEM; and would Not want it to be shared; at least for now…….
MOST PEOPLE DO NOT SEE MODELLING AS A RELIABLE WORK. WHAT DO YOU THINK?
- Well! Just like psychologists have made us to understand “THAT NO TWO INDIVIDUALS ARE THE SAME; SO IT IS, IN PEOPLES PERCEPTIONS AND VIEWS ABOUT SO MANY THINGS”…….. To me, if you want to be a good model; you should have a “driving force” called “PASSION”. That has made the job really fantastic, interesting and reliable for me because it’s just like every entrepreneur with skills; when the need arises for you to render your services; you go, do it, and get paid because you were trained for it. So its really a reliable job for me. It’s a give and take deal. The job too is like an “INVESTMENT” you “REAP” later…….
WHAT IS THE LIFESTYLE YOU ARE RESTRICTED TO AS A MODEL?
As a model you must always do the needful ranging from your diets, workouts, and taking proper care of your skin. And so, apart from these, I don’t think I have a lifestyle that am restricted from, rather than “MAINTAINING MY STANDARDS”; Yes! Am a model with a standard and as a model, I am a public figure; all eyes are on me consciously or unconsciously; so since am been watched, it is then my sting of consciousness to always do the right thing, at the right time, at the right place with the right intentions………
WHAT IS YOUR MOST CHALLENGING MOMENTS AS A MODEL AND HOW YOU GOT THROUGH?
- My most challenging moments are my days of learning my catwalks and facial expressions; while others laughed at me; I joined them to laugh at myself and continued with serious practices till I got better so with that I got over it. Though as a model you must practice back-to-back; as a result of these I still have my daily rehearsals at home; to get more better……..
ARE THERE STAGES IN BECOMING A MODEL?
- YES! Series of stages; its not all about having the looks of a model but becoming a perfect model; so if at one stage you get busy in working on yourself to have those quality looks of a model in order to get picked in every auditions; another stage is your catwalks which requires working on your facial expressions, your shoulders, your tommy, the way you control and swing your hands and the way you lock your legs while you walk etc. another stage which is the most important of all is the way and Manner you present yourself.
The answer is just YES! no two ways about it; there are lots of stages and that’s why sometimes I laugh seriously when young persons of these era just because they are pretty and have good quality pictures wakes up one morning and starts calling themselves models. How does that sound like?
WHAT DO YOU THINK WAS THE EDGE YOU HAD OVER OTHER CONTESTANTS THAT HELPED YOU WIN?
- It’s God first, then my height followed then my broad shoulders and my looks; because my boss normally tells me “I HAVE THESE LOOKS OF THE BLACK KOREAN MODELS AND HE LIKES MY SHOULDERS”………
HOW CAN YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO BELIEVE IN THIS LINE OF FASHION?
- The encouragement is constant prayers because God is the potter and we are the clay, we are all the works of His hands; he decides to do what He wishes with us. Which means by these every work on earth is “SPIRITUAL”.
- The next thing is to always make yourself available; ready to explore opportunities before it becomes obvious.
- Above all; once you have PASSION for something, you need not force it because the power of it’s vision pulls you. “PASSION REMAINS THE KEY TO SUCCESS”.